Labels

Saturday, January 30, 2021

(Un)Conscious Bias

My Toastmasters mentor, Kaarthi has not given a speech for a long time (well..long for my standard!😄) and finally he delivered one this week - a mind-blowing speech entitled "Unconscious Bias". 

As soon as I heard the title I was excited for three reasons. 

(1) It was a topic Tasha wrote for her IB project 5 years ago, so it was a very familiar subject to the Rende family as she read, researched and presented to us over and over (AND OVER AND OVER) until she "nailed" it. 

My Pride and Joy

(2) It resonated well with the conversation I had with her just a few weeks ago about my reading habit. (More on this later.)

(3) Given my familiarity with the topic, I couldn't wait to hear Kaarthi's perspective. (Post speech: he certainly did NOT disappoint! 😎)

The meaning of the term "Unconscious Bias" is rather straightforward in that, more often than not, we, without realising, are swayed by some factors when making a decision - factors such as our background, personal, cultural and religious values, life experience, education and the list goes on. 

Back to the conversation I had with Tasha a few weeks ago which took place while we were golfing. It started when Tiggy innocently asked Tasha about the kind of books she reads. 

Tasha: Mom and I read everything! Even the label on the newly bought shirt! (ha! ha! But it is true!) Even when I was in the UK, we would spend hours on the phone discussing a current case that we were following or talk about a book that she wants me to read.  BUT BUT listen to this Auntie Tiggy...

And this was when she dropped the bomb! 

Tasha: Even though we read the same book, sometimes I wonder whether we actually read the same book because she would only remember and talk about the parts that validate her already-formed opinion and would NOT accept any other point of views! 

Woe is Me! I was astonished to hear that from her because we always talk about the books we read and she had never said such a thing. However, I was too flabbergasted to immediately retort, so I composed myself and took a deep breathe. 

Me: First of all, that was a total exaggeration! I am a very open minded person who will consider other points of views. However, through 51 years of life, I am pretty confident of what works and what doesn't, what's real and what's a fantasy and what's to be taken seriously and what's to be read with a pinch of salt. 

Tasha: See....that's what I meant! Unconscious Bias has taken over you! 

Me: No, sweetie. You can't accuse me of Unconscious Bias. I am very aware of the points that I made and the reasons behind them. If it is a bias, it is a conscious one. 

We were interrupted by the Marshall giving signal to continue play. (Thank God!) But it got me thinking. Is there such a thing as Conscious Bias?! Is it just me being conscious of my Unconscious Bias? Or are they the same thing? 


I guess I will have to write another post when I find the answer. So stay tuned!

No comments: