Labels

Friday, January 15, 2021

Fruits - Fab, Fad or Fat?



My dining table centrepiece this morning

A friend once told me that she went through 50 to 60 oranges a week and she is a family of 3! When I asked "why" instead of exclaimed "wow", she was a tad upset with me and started on a "rampage" about juicing. 

Personally, if there is a dirty word associated with fruits and vegetables, it would be JUICING.  I cannot for the life of me understand why people would waste a bag of kale or a perfectly good fruit to a blender or extractor or a juicer. More so when there are a lot of scientific researches that concluded the benefits of eating whole fruits and vegetables and none (up until September 2020) that supports juicing as better than eating them whole.  

And even when you, like most people do NOT read scientific researches, common sense should prevail. It takes at least 3-4 oranges to make a glass of juice. Imagine the amount of fructose in that! I am not just talking about the spike in the glucose level that could lead to insulin resistance and a host of diseases that come with it, but these extra calories, if not careful can easily lead to weight gain! 

Fruits - fad or fab? Well, if you are into juicing, you can certainly add fat to that burning question too! 


No comments: