Labels

Friday, January 1, 2021

Breaking 90

Started 2020 with a resolution to break 90 which I shared with just my daughter, because for an occasional golfer, such as I, this is a tall order. 

As with every goal that I had previously, I concocted the best laid out plan and figured, if I work the plan and pray for a bit of luck, I might just be able to make it. 

But for those who golf, would know that it is easy for a plan to go awry and 9 out of 10 times, they do! In a game where hundreds of decisions have to be made to overcome the varying complexities and adversities, it takes a lot of experience to arrive to the most informed decision for each shot. Sometimes the totally unexpected befall on you just to add to the mounting stress of the game! 😜


Stuck in the mud at Selesa Hillhomes Resort

To help sharpen the saw, I decided to play more games on different courses to expose myself to different environment, green speed and terrain. Once my game became more stable, I even went on to accept invitations to play with different groups of golfers to help strengthen my mental game.


With the usual suspect on Merdeka Day at Awana Genting Golf Club


September-baby golfers at Kelab Golf Seri Selangor

As with all sports, nothing beats a good round of competition to put your skills to test. I started participating to see how well I play under pressure. Thankfully, previous experience racing and competing gave me the edge to win the 2020 Order of Merit within the Ladies Expat-Golfers  Society (LEGS) and 3rd place in the senior division within Malaysian Ladies Golfers Association (MALGA). 

But I never broke 90 in the process. 


MALGA Series Competition at Royal Seri Menanti Golf Club


Piala DYMM Tunku Ampuan at Seremban International Golf 

By the last week of 2020, I was getting desperate as my lowest score was 92! I needed to shave off 3 strokes to get to my goal. I played on 29/12 with Tropicana midweek group and then again on 30/12 with my good friend, Cindy at our local club, to no avail.

With just one more day to the new year, I scrambled through Deemples app to find one last game. I finally found one at Kinrara (a course I have not played for over 5 years) with 2 other golfers I have never met. 

On 31/12/2020 8 am, we teed off on Hole no. 10. My only weapon was my desire to achieve my goal for 2020. 18 holes - 7 pars, 6 boogies, 3 double boogies and 2 triple boogies later....
  



And that was how I ended my 2020 - with a Big Bang! 

_________________________

Inspired by Abraham Lincoln:
"I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end" 

No comments: