Labels

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Food For The Soul


The craze at the time was Hot Yoga. I was a member at Fitness First. They brought in the youngest handsomest yoga instructors from India and the fact that I could be sweating buckets while holding a few poses truly appealed to my sense of adventure! 

And that was how my yoga journey started, exactly 10 years ago.

I loved that I was able to balance on single legs doing natarajasana (dancer pose) or Virabhadrasana (warrior 3) or on my arms doing bakasana (crow pose). These were BIG wins for me because stability was not really my strong physical points. I was ecstatic when I could touch my toes doing uttasana (forward bend) or when I was able to reach the floor with my toes in halasana (plow pose). These were all indications that my flexibility has improved! 

It was only years later that I began to look at yoga in a different light. I learnt that the forward bend is not just about having flexibility. In this pose, when my head is lower than my heart, this allows for an unusual occasion for blood to rush to the head, giving the brain cells a rejuvenating boost of oxygen! I learnt that simple poses such as balasana (child's pose) comes packed with tons of health benefits for the body, the mind and the soul.     

These days when I do yoga, it is no longer about how long I can stay in a particular pose. The intention has shifted to deepen my concentration, elevate my level of consciousness and feed my soul. 

NAMASTE!



 


No comments: