Labels

Monday, March 29, 2021

Surfer's Paradise

 


When Ivy invited me to go windsurfing, the memories of my surfing days in Cherating and Hood River came flooding in. 

It was 1998 and I was just being seconded to manage the contract closure for Bombardier Inc, a Canadian Engineering company responsible for the driverless train for the LRT Putra line. The short stint turned out to be one of the best times in my life, thanks to my boss, Sarah and her husband Brent. 

Both of them are ardent surfers (even until now)! They used to spend most of the weekends driving back and forth to Cherating while we were working in KL and later on to Hood River when we were working in Vancouver. So it was only natural that their names and faces came flashing when I think of windsurfing. 

And so we went on a fine Saturday afternoon, to D'Saville Lake in Puchong. With Waze it was easy enough to locate the place but I couldn't find any ingress into the water. Turned out, you just needed to jump in and set yourself up in chest deep water which was fine for me as I am used to deep sea start for triathlon. However, it was definitely not a place for beginner! 

After a quick orientation, wallah.....it felt as if I have never stopped windsurfing! The venue wasn't exactly Surfer's Paradise but the feeling of being able to windsurf again was heavenly. 


No comments: