Labels

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Competitiveness

Another 2 weeks before I can reclaim my Sundays. Till then it is a late lunch in our household to synchronise with Regina (that's Queen in Italian and that's Franco's pet name for me)'s work schedule. 

Today it was lamb chops with pasta which was yummilicious. I boiled some edamame so that there was some green on the table. I ended up eating the whole bowl by myself while Franco and Tasha sucked the bones dry. 

Conversation at lunch varies from Tasha's best friend to fake diamonds from Tiffany's but today it centred around golf since I had just acquired a new club membership yesterday. Of course, no golf talk is complete without some reviews of the performance of the caddies. After all they are the ones who make or break our game. Well...mine anyway. Tasha thinks that I am way too pampered to always be playing with a caddie. The only reason she normally plays without one is because she is too frugal to tip them! 

Anyway, I mentioned to Franco about how terrible the caddie at Palm Garden was. Tasha concurred with my observation as she missed a birdie and a par chances when we played there a few days ago (plus it is always good to blame it on someone else)! 😄😄

FRANCO: I like Nordin. He reads the line very well. 

ME: He is good but he talks too much. Maybe because we are both Kelantanese and he feels that he needs to constantly chat with me! I don't like chatty caddie because I need to focus when I play. That's why I like Manik. He is not the best but he ticks all the boxes. 

TASHA: Ma, you like him because he is as COMPETITIVE as you. He is always giving you hope for sinking the ball in the hole even when the chance of that happening is less than 5%! Not to mention, he will make you fight until the last stroke. Even when you are already winning, he has to make sure that you have a landslide victory!  Seriously! Who does that during a fun game? 

FRANCO: Babe....what's with you and getting people to be COMPETITIVE? Last week it was Kaarthi. What was it. He did 1 speech the whole of last year and now that he is mentoring you, he did 4 speeches in 1 day? 

TASHA: Yeah ma. You remember when we played last week. I was one up against you. Then Manik was cheering you on to make sure that you squared with me, which you finally did on the last hole. How both of you were high 5-ing when you managed to even your score. And that was against your own daughter!!! 

For the rest of lunch, Franco and Tasha took turns to be in the firing squad that finally left me unarmored! For the first time I was relieved that my break time was over. I reminded everyone to be quiet and hurried back to the desk to talk to my mentee in Turkey, a very COMPETITIVE national athlete turned coach. 

Yesterday's Gallagher's Challenge! 

  Looks like it is the story of my life!  



 


No comments: