Labels

Saturday, February 20, 2021

The Eagle Has Landed



Not wanting to rely on technology, I am very dependent on the accuracy of the caddie in reading my putting line, gauging the distance and sometimes advising me on the choice of clubs. 

Manik is one of the better caddies at Tropicana Golf Club. Having played as a national junior in Bangladesh, he had come to Malaysia armed with experience competing at a high level.  Not only is he competent, he also has the right attitude, and best of all, only speak when spoken to. My dream guy! 😜

I played my usual conservative game with the aim of scoring bogeys with occasional pars and that was how the game went. It was nothing exciting to the point that another caddie Andan commented on how boring and safe my game was! I told him point blank that I am too old to be playing an aggressive game and entertaining inconsistency in my game. Manik just nodded in agreement. 
 

On the last hole, I played even more conservatively, teeing off with a 5 wood leaving me with 125m to the green. I asked Manik for a 6 iron that put a shock on his face. He reluctantly handed me the club after I reassured him that it would be ok. 

I repeatedly told myself to trust my judgement, took a swing and as soon as the ball took flight, I knew it was going to be a great shot. The ball flew right towards the pin, dropped just a few meters short and rolled into the hole earning myself my first ever EAGLE!


On top of that, I played 88 that day. You don't get luckier than that! 



 



No comments: