Labels

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Saturday Be Like

My focus in coaching took a turn on 1st February 2021 which requires for me to work on Sundays for the next one year! As a result over the last two weekends, I have been trying to maximise my Saturday by doing things I love and surround myself with people whom I enjoy their company. 

Yesterday was no different - started my day with a ride around the neighbourhood traversing the concrete jungle of Klang Valley. The hills were alive even in the wee hour of the morning! I resolved to tackle each and every single one with vigour since I have not been cycling as much due to the lockdown as well as time constraint!  

Section 16 Wall

Jalan Kelantan 
(can't run away from my beloved state even if I want to!)

Many many hills later, we headed to Canteen in BSC for my first cup of cappuccino. 

Ivy had been wanting me to host a talk on ClubHouse for a few days already but the logistics and timing was never right. After a quick conversation on Ikigai (Alfred had just finished reading a book and I had just delivered a speech about it), we figured between the two of us, we would have enough content to chat about it. That got Ivy excited and she quickly got the ball rolling. We hurried home in time for the session. Since it was the first time for all of us, we didn't know what to expect. I started the conversation to a very silent audience. Turned out they were totally engaged and some even stepped up to share their Ikigai experience. Tasha joined for the first part of it but had to leave half way for her lunch appointment. Not without leaving a little note to her mommy dearest. 

I know I will always have at least one ardent supporter in every new venture!   

The afternoon was even more exciting when Judy, Kaarthi and I met for coffee at Pokok. Toastmasters brought us together but now our lives are intertwined in more ways than we thought it would be. We chatted about everything under the sun - from Tommy Thomas to Marie Kondo to Stephen Covey for hours on end! While Judy is predictably full of entertaining life stories, I was hoping to uncover the  carefree side of Kaarthi as I was assured that it exists waiting to be unearthed! I guess we will just have to have more coffee before that reveals itself!  

Had to rush home for dinner and meet one of my athletes before calling it a day. I have not met Hao for nearly a year when we decided (according to him it was solely my decision!) that he needed to spread his wings by being exposed to training with other coaches. Apparently it is not working out for him as well as we hoped for. His mom thinks that he is sabotaging his relationship with other coaches so that he can return to the way things were. I have been coaching him for 7 years (since he was 12) and I thought a break from each other would be welcomed by him. After last night's reflection, I may need to find an extra 20 hours a week so as not to lose him as one of Malaysia's most promising athletes.  

Too exhausted to think of how, but totally fulfilled, I fell asleep with "New Amsterdam" playing in the background. Bon Soir! 

No comments: