Labels

Monday, February 1, 2021

Be Your ExtraOrdinary

20210201 

New month and a new beginning for me....

19 coaches from around the globe (out of which only 8 from Asia) have been selected for the World Triathlon Mentorship Program and I was one of them! 👊

The Program has been designed to develop a skilled cadre of mentors who will support newer coaches with real potential to be the sports' next generation of leaders. It is thus a BIG responsibility but one that I am looking forward to fulfil to elevate my contribution to this sport that I love!  

Along with a host of qualifications required, the participation to the program is limited to triathlon coaches who have produced Olympians and Youth Olympians! I was selected through the success of my athlete, Chong Xian Hao who qualified and competed at the Youth Olympics Buenos Aires in 2018. 

Buenos Aires 2018

I had a mixed feelings when I received the e-mail bearing this good news - I was intimidated to see some of the BIG names in the list but at the same time, super excited to be inducted in the major league!   

In line with the motto "Be Your ExtraOrdinary", World Triathlon has prepared a 7 week online course followed by 9 months of mentoring the selected mentee coaches in the hope that they will eventually be the next generation of coaches to produce an Olympian!   

My facilitator is none other than the South African, Norman Brook who is a former Olympics Coach and  CEO of the British Triathlon Federation. He has been active in all aspects of the sports - so much so that he was awarded an MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) for his contribution. 

For training purposes, I have been paired with a coach from Turkey, Huseyin Onur Aydemir, whom I have not met but I guess with us having to work hand in hand for the next 7 weeks, I will either be his best friend or worst enemy, we shall see. 😀

Given that we are on 3 different continents with Coach Norman in Africa, Coach Huseyin in Europe and I in Asia, our first challenge is to coordinate our online training session. We have agreed to meet at 7pm Malaysian time (1pm in South Africa and 2pm in Turkey!). 

8 more hours and then it is TIME TO PLAY WITH THE BIG BOYS! 😜

_______________________________________

And oh...don't forget the moral of the story is: 

Whatever Age You May Be, Always Be Your ExtraOrdinary!  


No comments: