Labels

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

CAVEAT EMPTOR

A couple of weeks ago, we went to Low Yat to look for a new handphone pour moi. The current one that I am attached to is 10 years of age (hence my attachment to this little thing). Unfortunately, for the last one year it has been plagued by certain illness which makes the ringing tone unuseable and when the message comes through, it only vibrates whenever it wants to - all of which I am happy to live with. After all, having a phone is never a life or death situation for me. It is convenient to have but I can definitely live without.
Of late however, the battery is acting up on me. A lot of times, I would be so into a conversation, describing the most gruesome experience when I realised that I have been talking through a dead phone ("potong stim" only!). And since the phone is so old, they don't even sell the batteries anymore. Hence the trip to Low Yat.
Anyway, the choice was between a Blackberry or a Motorola V9. The Blackberry was for the possibility of joining the corporate world in the next few days (or weeks) while the latter was purely for esthetic reason.
When asked the retailer for help, I was asked the question "under water punye ke?" which I thought meant that the phone is water resistant. So, "yes" was my answer! and marveled at the latest technology!
Little did I know what it truly meant and lucky for me, the knowledge came just before I made the purchase! I am not a BIG under water fan, so , we aborted our search and moved to find the authorised dealer for these phones.
LET THE BUYERS BEWARE

No comments: