Labels

Monday, September 1, 2008

MERDEKA CELEBRATION - THE PURPOSE?

The last time we resolved to watch the parade LIVE, the Alam Flora (the cleaning contractor for KL) had already started sweeping the roads when we arrived at Dataran Merdeka.
This year, we set the alarm at 6.30 a.m. and actually woke up to it so that we would have time for a leisurely breakfast, courtesy of the Villeneuve @ City Garden. The plan was then to walk to Dataran Merdeka to enjoy the parade.
Since Franco had to suffer from the road closures due to the rehearsals prior, we thought we'll show him what the parade is all about so that he would have better appreciation of the extra minutes (more like hours actually) spent in the car over the last week!!!

Once there, my mind started to wonder....what is the purpose of it all, I mean the celebration, the parades, the fireworks?
Is it to thank our forefathers for their efforts in achieving this Independence? Well, if this is the case, after 50 years of celebration, I hope the message is loud and clear that we do appreciate THANK YOU.
Is it to instil patriotism in the citizens? I don't know how this can be achieved when half of the population was still probably sleeping when the parade ended or when most of the population was just pissed off to be woken up by the sound of endless fireworks at ungodly hour.
Is it for our children to appreciate the freedom that we have
achieved through independence? I am not sure the freedom is all that much considering the active censorship in this country.
Is it? Is it?Is it? My mind just kept wondering.....

2 comments:

Sylvia B.S. said...

Hi Lini,
If this will help you in pursuing your thoughts through your blog, please refer to this blog: http://nasrudinuitm.blogspot.com
This person was my political science lecture during my Uitm years. He's still a lecturer but in UITM shah alam currently.

linikazim said...

Hmmm, I think I will remain apolitical in my blog although god knows I have a lot to say!

Tak pasal nanti husband I kena deport and I under ISA. Kalau prison ada tennis court tahan jugak! Kalau tak ada, mati kutu I nanti!