Labels

Sunday, September 14, 2008

DOES PRACTICE MAKE PERFECT?


"Ah...what is it that you are going to try your hands on now?"

That would be a common question in my family when they sense that I am restless and agitated. To which I would give a bashful smile and answered in my throat..."piano?"

I am a year shy of 40 but I have not lost the insatiable appetite to learn something new. So, I made a few phone calls and chose my teacher based on how the person reacted when he/she heard my age! So, Ricky made the cut and a week later, we started OUR musical journey.... Grade 0!

Although I hated all the kiddie songs that I have to play and all the scales which did not mean anything to me, I practised hard at each piece because I always believe that practice makes perfect. BUT IS IT REALLY ENOUGH TO MAKE IT PERFECT?

My arguments with Ricky are numerous because I am convinced that he is sadistic in nature and only derives pure pleasure when he finds fault in my recital. Being a person who does not take criticsm well, our bickering sometimes gets a bit out of hand! In fact, I have once brushed his comments off with something as childish as... "my house, my rule" to which he retorted "my class, my rule" to which I replied "my money, my rule" ....and the banter just goes on and on.

Failing to tackle the situation in a hard core manner, I switched strategy and started telling him my sad stories of how I spent my whole weekend locked in the house, practising the piano until my fingers were numb when I could have a better time on the golf course; or that I am a creative soul who likes to explore the different ways of playing the piece, to which he just nodded and said "practise again for next week!"

"Urgh....I can't do the Jingle Bells for another week. I will go jingled, if I do" I muttered.
Ricky then turned to me and said something that striked the chord....

IT IS NOT THE PRACTICE THAT MAKES IT PERFECT,
IT IS PERFECT PRACTICE THAT MAKES IT PERFECT.

Ouch...you can't argue with that.
....And the Jingle Bells filled the air in our humble abode again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't resist to leave a comment?!!Sometimes we can't give in to students who give too much excuses(I can compile into a book!)and not heading into improvement.Though you have improve but the rate could be faster with more perfect practises. Kekeke.Anyway its your blog and only your opinion...bla bla bla.....HAppy practising perfectly....cheerioo....

kimster said...

true.
practice makes permanent.
perfect practice makes perfect.

which is why I never bother :P

linikazim said...

Hello Orpheus,

Thanks for your inspiring words that I have improved.

Given your age (ha!ha!) and experience, I am sure you could indeed write a book about all the excuses you have heard over the years!