Labels

Monday, February 4, 2013

THE JOURNEY OF A PEDALLER v.2012



The extent of my cycling less than a year ago! 

Bought my first race bike in April 2012. The choice of names boiled down to Rafael (Nadal) or Tiger (Woods) - my two sports idols. Since the bike is Italian (Mediterranean), I opted for Rafael. 

Carmen and Sam not only helped me with the purchase but they are also the force that brought me into the world of triathlon. You guys are truly my inspiration! 



My inaugural ride organised by KZ, Zafuan, Shuhaimi and Syariz in Tekala. I rode the hills in high gears that caused my quads to be on fire. Only after the ride, I learnt from Shuhaimi how to shift the gear for climbing! Da..... 


My first race that involved cycling was PD Triathlon 2012. In preparation for that I attended the pre-trial race organised by Tadonamo and clocked in 40km on the bike with a lot of hard work. My special thanks to Richard, Syerol and Azli for the encouragements when I was too nervous to plunge in the open sea or too tired to attack another hill or too numb to run after cycling. 


I raced my first race with my running shoes and only bought my first pair of cycling shoes long after that. I had so many "jatuh bodoh" that I felt like giving up on those shoes! Thanks to Chee Keong Loh and Leo for nursing my first cycling wound.



Despite the few triathlon events I participated, cycling remained a challenge for me. The turning point for me really was when I cycled with Rupert at the Powerman Trial where he shared with me some cycling tips. I followed his advice diligently and that finally seemed to help me make the sport not just bearable but enjoyable.


I knew I had to seriously clock in some mileage to build the rotary muscle but I also knew I didn't have much time for training, too slow to join most riders and too inexperience to ride sole. So, I started participating in cycling events where I do not have to ride alone, but still ride at my own pace.

My first race (also my first attempt at over 100km ride) was at Cyclosportif Race in Port Dickson which I was happy to finish without any jatuh bodoh or a puncture. 


Broga is known amongst the cyclists as the hills to conquer and I did that in one of the races. The timing was not great but at least I was seated on the paddle throughout the ride!


My first podium finish for cycling was at Grandfondo KL event in December 2012 where I came in 1st  place in my age category. Thanks to Nur for being there to ride with me and to pick up my winning prize. What a great way to end cycling in 2012!


May there be more great and fun rides to come.




4 comments:

Ordinary Superhero said...

Congrats. You have come this far in the fastest of time.

Fairy / Farah said...

Boy when it comes to inspiration, you sure don't disappoint Lini. :) Great job on the cycling adventure! You inspire more people than you know.

Ordinary Superhero said...

Ha ha, my yellow T-Sprint!

linikazim said...

Thanks guys!