Labels

Thursday, April 8, 2021

MAKE YOUR OWN HAPPINESS

Dato Ibrahim texted me last week for a round of golf and I obliged since I have not played with him for over a year.  He has also made arrangement for us to play at The Mines, one of the most exclusive golf courses in Malaysia and I definitely did not want to miss out on this golden opportunity. 

Ezani, the Golf Manager, showed us hospitality that matched the beauty of this course. 

The foursome - Dato Jet, Dato Ibrahim, Dato Sabariah and me

The fun part about golf is the little game we played and yesterday the Boys decided to play against the Ladies. They definitely chose the wrong duo to play against! 

Both Dato Sabariah and I are ex-TKCians and when it comes to competition, we have a certain "je ne sais quoi" that we won't ever understand but it helped us to be relentless. 

We were up 3 holes with hole 16 (par 3) being the deciding hole whether The Ladies would win or had to continue the fight for the remaining holes. To make it even more exciting, we had a gallery with Tan Sri Tajuddin and his flight mates watching us play this hole. 

Dato Ibrahim teed off and his ball landed a few feet away from the hole. Shocking, as he had not being playing well the last few holes. Perhaps the audience gave him the motivation required. 

I was the last one to tee off. The fighting spirit in me kept saying that I could do better (even when the boys already have a chance of birdie in their pocket)! I teed off pin high. It looked promising but unfortunately the ball landed off the green. By now it was between Dato Ibrahim and I as we were the closest 2 balls to the pin. 

I consulted the line with Aiman, our caddy and we both decided that I was better off to putt as I have had a good streak with my putter the last few holes. And he was right on the money because the ball trickled into the hole as soon as it made contact with my putter face! The look of bewilderment on everyone's face followed by the applause from the gallery! I was ecstatic while Dato Ibrahim was in shock!

The boys definitely did not have a good round yesterday but through it all, they held on positively. It is a trait I truly admire as it demonstrates how strong they are mentally. It is a rare sight to be treasured as it is not easy to stay composed when you feel that everything is colluding and working against you. 

Dato' Ibrahim taught me an invaluable lesson yesterday: IN LIFE, YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR OWN HAPPINESS! I chose to accept defeat with grace and be happy! Not sure about the latter statement as they did not look so happy over lunch while planning for their revenge game this Friday! Good thing I will be in Seri Menanti!  


No comments: