Labels

Thursday, July 10, 2014

GOD? ALLAH? What's The Difference?

In Malaysia right now there has been a lot of controversies on the issue of the translated bible using the word Allah to mean God. 

In my recent meeting with a non-Muslim friend, I was asked of my opinion on this issue. I can only speak based on the little knowledge of Islam that I have and what it means to me and this is no way an attack to those who think or know otherwise. So, of course any intellectual discussion or correction from those in the know are most welcome. 

We all know that the word Allah comes from the Arabic word 'Ilah" (means deity, god, divine being) combines with the definite article "al" (means the). This make al-illah which was then brought together as "Allah", The God. Loosely, it is probably safe to say that the word Allah and God can be used interchangeably because of what it means. 

However in my opinion, language is really a side issue to this question. What is far more important is actually the concept of God which in my opinion differ significantly for the Muslims and the Christians. What I mean by this is that in Islam, we believe in the Unity of God, the monotheism and that there is no other God but Allah, which befits the definition of Allah, THE God, the one and only. 

In the case of the Christians whereby the word "God" insinuates belief in the Trinity, the word Allah may be improperly defined and create confusion. We therefore should defend the use of the word Allah unless it carries the same meaning conceptually, in order to avoid misconception of Islam. 

And Allah knows best. 



No comments: